Monday, September 14, 2009

Living chez de la Monnerraye...

Today my key wouldn’t work. It literally nearly sent me over the edge. I couldn’t even open the gate to my house. I ended up having to leave my key in the gate, climb over said gate, take the rest of my keys in, and wait for the little brother to get home so he could fix it. An hour and a half later. Grrrr…

I did have the good fortune to get the use of a shower. Sometimes I think my mom can read my mind. I get home from Paris, ask for a phone charger (as the phone I was using had died without one) and after that, she showed me how to wash my clothes and offered to let me use the shower in the older sister and brother’s room, all without asking. She even offered later to have my friends eat lunch at the house, which is incredibly welcoming by French standards. Incredibly. So now we have a place to eat once we pick up our sandwiches.

Also, my house is really wonderfully located. I am a 10 minute walk from grammar, a five minute walk from the school (drama and civilization) and a five minute walk from conversation. In addition, I have a great restaurant at the end of my block, a wonderful boulangerie right next to it, and a central bus stop in the center of the circle at the end of said block. I have one of the smallest commutes of anyone in the group, plus a wonderful family.

My entire family is great, in case I didn’t say that already. My mom has been so welcoming, and offered me all these things without me even having to ask in most cases. My 17-year-old sister (Agathe) is great, even though she talks really fast, and is always willing to help me understand stuff. The youngest kid (Paul) is adorable. He’s 11, and is actually just learning English in school. Right now I can hear Anne reciting the days of the week with him, his latest assignment. The one before this was to learn the English alphabet, which was a really funny experience. He sits down at dinner with me and Agathe Monday night and starts reciting. We correct where necessary, and before long, he’s at “ S…T…U…V…”and then for “W,” goes “2-U!” He’s half right, at least! I even had the chance to meet the older brother (Yann) who’s away at school in Paris. I come walking in from the train to Paris, struggling with all of my stuff, and I notice a bunch of baggage strewn in the hallway. While I fight to get my key out of the door (I hate that door, and the gate too), he stands up and introduces himself. He seems nice, but I only saw him for about a minute before he left for school. And sadly, I don’t get to meet the eldest daughter (Amelie), since she is working in San Francisco this year, and left the same day I did. But in any case, I love my family, and am really glad I got them. Judging from what others have continued to say about their families, I have the nicest, most welcoming, most helpful, least intimidating family in Versailles. Plus I have a TV. Hah. Not that I understand any of it yet. Except for the weather reports.

1 comment:

  1. Yea for having an awesome host family! It makes such a difference! That's so great that they're letting you eat lunch at the house b/c there is literally nowhere else to go when it gets cold!

    ReplyDelete